Search This Blog

Monday, October 16, 2006

Movies, Book & Masti

Saturday afternoon was spent doing “lukkhagiri” in new Market and Chowringee. I need to get some photographs developed and found a place near Metro gali. Man that place is thronging with people. I guess being opposite the Esplande Main Bus Terminus, this must be the place to tap all the people who come in from the rural and small towns of West Bengal. While I was waiting for my pictures to be developed I decided to find out about some glass and mirrors that were much needed at home. I ventured down Metro Gali and it was like Pandora’s Box. There were all sorts of shops there dishing out wares from electronics to garment, from hardware to furniture. I can’t even begin to describe the plethora of merchandise on offer here, and am convinced that they’re not all legal, authentic or brand new.

After the adventure in Metro gali, I headed back to the photo lab “ZOOM” and got my pictures and head back home in an auto, which seemed like an eternity. Peak hour traffic can be a killer in these parts. Oh before I forget to mention, I bumped into Soutiman while crossing S.N. Banerjee Road. Remember him, from the other day at Some Place Else. Childhood buddies, well my brother’s actually. Anyway we did catch up a lot more in conversation here at the crossroads than the other day at Some Place Else where everything seemed to be drowned by the music. He was on his way to place a classified advertisement in The Telegraph to lease his first floor place out. We exchanged a few more words with the bid adieu being that we must stay in touch. So by the time he gets back to Mumbai, he should be getting an e-mail from me with the URL of this blog.
Later that evening Rahul & I headed out to Music World on Park Street and bought 3 Vcd’s:
1. The Incredibles
2. Garfield – The Movie
3. STAR WARS Episode III – The Revenge of the Sith.

We spent the evening, in fact way into the night watching two of them. Of course there was Chips and Thums-up too, if you’re thinking we just spent a boring evening.

Posted by Picasa
After a late night on Saturday, most of Sunday was spent lazing around and after a great deal of patience, I have managed to come halfway through "My name is Red - Orhan Pamuk" and I'm intrigued by the story telling ability of this man. I'm gripped and can't get a wink of sleep, before devouring a couple of dozen pages before my eyelids fail me.

We spent the afternoon watching the last of the three vcd’s and in the evening we went to Highland Park, which houses Big Bazar. The place resembles any other Mall that houses a Big Bazaar. There are millions of shoppers. Man these guys have clinched the formula to make a mall work. Everything is a bargain. There’s a sale on 365 days a year.

This morning something that has caught my eye on the way to work and more so because of this morning's news article on the telecom industry and how the networks are getting clogged was Reliance’s new campaign. Reliance is on top of the list at 204 above the permissible limit of 500 out of 100,000 being the number of calls that don't go through. And I think the campaign below seems to have a lot to contribute to this number. If you're going make two sizzling starlets beckon at the population from those hoardings, you'd expect to have these kinds of repercussions. No offence to the two lovely ladies in question. Mandira Bedi & Riya Sen, whose pictures seem to be plastered all over the city, are definitely making heads turn and thumbs on the keypads of mobile phones go crazy dialling, if not making enamoured drivers crash into each other.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:38 PM

    Heyyyy

    Yes I got your mail and read your blog. It's a good effort and you must keep it up.

    Yep, cal is superb any time of the year and walking down the busy Chowringhee road is quite an experience.

    I enjoyed my short stay at Cal and it was good to meet you Rohit.

    Soutiman

    ReplyDelete

Most Popular Posts till date