Search This Blog

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Sunday, What a Sunday!

Sunday Morning was my day to cook breakfast as I had promised everyone. So when I awoke, I realised that the necessary ingredients for a Sunday Breakfast were missing, so I hopped on my cycle accompanied by Rahul on his and we headed to Beckbagan Bazar. Yeah I had got the cycle repaired last evening and this was it’s maiden flight on the streets of Kolakata. We gusy rode through some of the gulleys and crossed the main road to the market. I picked up some Baked Beans and Tuna. Sausages, Ham, bacon and salami were unavailable.

So anyway got back home and readied the Kitchen for my maiden venture in the Kitchen too. So first I got all the utensils, the various ingredients, like tomatoes, onions, salt, oil, grated cheese, chicken ham and sausages, eggs and chillies in place. I then set about the task of finely cutting the onions, tomatoes and chilies on the cutting board. Then I whipped up some eggs and started making omelette after omelette. Breakfast was a feast. Stuffed omelettes, baked beans and Toast with butter and tuna fish.

After Breakfast there was only one thing to do. I went downstairs, took my ZMA out of the garage, put on my Helmet, gloves, shades got on the bike and pressed the electric start sparking the engine to life, revved bike a couple of times and then headed out. I was off on a joy ride on the streets of Kolkata.

While going down Darga Road, I noticed that the Park Circus Maidan was bustling with life. There were hundreds of youngsters playing cricket on the huge expanse of greenery. I stopped and clicked a couple of pictures and made may way towards the AJC Bose Road Flyover. This 2.5 km flyover was the only place I was going really get the joy of some Full Throttle and shortly after ascending the flyover I was doing 120 kmph. The next 2 km was going to be a rush. I descended and took a right from the Race Course and headed, past the Victoria Memorial, towards Red Road. Here too 120 kmph was a joy. There ar very few stretches of tarmac in Kolkata where one can actually go past 30-40 kmph, so I was making the best of the holiday and empty roads.

On Red Road I remembered that I had come many years ago for the unveiling of my great great great grandfather’s statue. Well it was exactly where I had remembered. I got off and clicked a couple of pictures of the statue of one of the most famous poets of Bengal – Micheal Madhusudhan Dutt.

Later that evening after we had come back from a visit to Kolkata West, while we were sitting around and I was showing my aunt pictures of us (my bro, sis n myself) from way back and with celebrities too, she mentioned just off handedly how the house was host to so many people years ago. A name that made me freak out was Amrtya Sen, the noble laureate. He had been married in the very room we were sitting in. His father and my grandfather were friends and when Amrtya was to get married they chose our house as the venue for the function. Ofcourse those days Park Circus was a beautiful neighbourhood. I remember the days when the road was much narrower because the pavements were really wide with trees lining the boulevard from the maidan to the No. 4 Bridge.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:21 PM

    Well....

    The caption should ideally have been "Maidan on a Sunday afternoon". Pardon my candid comment, but Kolkata on a Sunday is incomplete without the morning haggling in the fish market, the adda in the para tea-stall, the deserted city roads in the afternoon.. etc etc. What the pictures say here are what they would have said on any afternoon in the maidan area.
    Rajarshi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:38 PM

    hello!
    i'm italian
    your blog is beautiful.i have got a blog:
    www.superjuventus.blogspot.com
    you go in my blog and you write a comment.
    by

    ReplyDelete
  3. was this aunt whom you refer to, my mother? she's told me the same story.

    ReplyDelete

Most Popular Posts till date