Search This Blog

Friday, November 10, 2006

The Bustling Streets of Kolkata

It’s been a while since I wrote about Kolkata itself and have digressed a bit from my original plan. So here goes.

I’ve been going crazy with my cycle lock which I haven’t been able to cut. So I’ve not been able to get around to cycling which brings me to the question of what’s happening with the bike I own. Well I haven’t got around to getting a helmet so I am not taking my chances with the “Bullet” armed Sergeants in Kolkata riding around unprotected.

So I decided to go to Wellington to get a helmet. It’s supposed to be the Mecca of Helmets and other two wheeler accessories. Before I could do that, I had to go the bank in Dalhousie. On the way back, I suddenly saw what I had wanted to catch on camera. Money changers! OK these guys sit around on the pavements with polythene wrapped brand new crisp bundles of notes in denominations of Rs. 10 and Rs. 20 mostly. So the deal is if you want to get a bundle of crisp new notes of small denominations (usually for weddings, auspicious occasions) you can exchange your money by the roadside with one of these guys for a marginal premium. People have all sorts of ways of making money, right?

Walking back towards office, there was all sorts of business bustling on the roadside. Books are a great draw in Kolkata and nearly road has several book and magazine stalls on the roadside, on the wall and anywhere they can be displayed. Apart from this, there were guys selling pirated cds, perfumes, watched, honey, herbs, stationary, you name it and it was available on the roadside. Gosh how “retail” thrives in Kolkata. I wonder if they perceive any threat from the colossal malls that the likes of Reliance and Pantaloon and other huge business houses are bringing to Kolkata.

What caught my eye was the number of shoe polish and repair wallahs on the road. I counted at least half a dozen in a span of 100 metres. People still love to get their shoes polished by these guys on the road side, and it isn’t surprising to see a well dressed executive sipping on some tea at the nearby chai wallah, while he’s shoes are getting a quick stitch here and there or an extra sole being sewed on.

Kolkata’s streets are always bustling with life and activity. I’ve missed walking on them for a while now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts till date