Search This Blog

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Getting Ready for My ZMA

Yesterday I headed out a bit early from office with Nilanjana to get myself equipped for my Karizma. OK once riding without a helmet was enough for me. So I decided too much time had elapsed and I had to get on my bike and burn the streets of Kolkata.

So I headed out to Wellington, the place that I had found out was most reputed for buying motorcycle accessories. Nilanjana joined me, as she wanted to buy her fiance a helmet too, and me apparently being an expert in such matters could guide her. So a short cab ride and half way there on Dharamatala Street, we hopped off the cab, stranded in the middle of a traffic jam and decided to cover the rest of the distance on foot.

We reached the crossing of Weelington Square and turned right, oblivious to where the real biking marketing was. Sure enough we had taken the turn for the better. After a pit stop and some research at our first stop we got a faint idea as to what to expect from the market. Since Nilanjana had to find an ATM, we were sent in the opposite direction towards HIND Cinema and onto Ganesh Chandra Avenue. After a long walk we realised it was futile looking for the illusice ATM and headed back tactfully getting past the shop we had stopped at. That was a boon in disguise because then we came upon the main Motorcycle market and there were scores of shops and all sorts of wares on display. I oticed the shop that was going to provide me what I was looking for. The Helmets I had been looking for was right there in front of me. We soon got chatting with the guy and after trying on various helmets got a fix on one. I also noticed a neat pair of gloves and threw that in on my shopping list. The delima was that we wanted two Identical helmets and he had only one in stock. So while he told us to wait , what better to do on a cool Kolkata evening but to have some “Bahad er cha”. So we quickly located one cha dokaan and set about relishing roadside tea. Man there’s something about Bhaad er cha (tea in earthen pot).

When we got back, we picked up the two hlemts, engaged in some ruthless bargaining (OK I’m just kidding about the ruthless part, you’ll know I’m incapable of that) and paid him marginally less and were on our way. My next stop was Braganza Musical Instruments shop. I wanted to buy a guitar. As luck would have it, after I hopped off the cab infront of the Oberoi Grand Hotel on chowringee and walked past the New Market towards Brganza I saw the shutters being pulled down. Another day, and I was not going to be able to get my guitar. That thought just made me run impalsively towards the guy pulling the shutters till I was beside him with the sha=utters half way down. I enquired what time they shut, and he tlooked at his wathch saying six pm. It was 1 minute past six. Damn! Not wanting to miss the last customer of the day, he let me in. I knew what I wanted and after a brif 10 minutes was the proud owner of a Black mat Finish Jumbo Braganza Guitar. I must admit, Kolkata does know how to do business. For Rs. 1800/-, the price of the guitar, they throw in a case, two plectrums and a spare set of strings. Wow! My day was made. Ofcourse I had to walk all the way till Camac Street with my bag on my back, helmet in my left hand and guitar in my right for want of a Cab. Makes one wonder, where’s a cab when oyu most need one. I’m just kidding, Kolkata still has got the best Cabbie service.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts till date