Search This Blog

Thursday, September 28, 2006

OLYPUB Rocks

Day 28, Sep 28, 06: Kolkata:

Yesterday was quite a boring day except for the fact that I was completely stressed about my whole bank fiasco. The rest of the day passed without much incident apart from the Rolls at Park Street and lunch at Song Hay.

But today’s high point has got to be OLYPUB. Jaideep and Mainak had been raving about this place ever since I got here. Of course I had heard about OLY even while I was in Delhi and on various previous visits to the city, but never had the opportunity to head there. We finally did today.

The place is like the Destination for the hard working executive or the cash strapped college kids. The fish fingers and Chicken Reshmai kebab is splendid. Unlimited Chana chur goes without saying, as is customary in a lot of Kolkata bars. The plate just keeps getting replenished. But what is out of this world is the Mustard Sauce. I’ve finally come to a place where the mustard sauce sends that pungent salvo up your nostrils and opens up the “tear gates”. Believe you me; a spot of that Mustard Sauce is all you require.

Apart from that, the spirits poured out of measuring pegs right at your table, live upto the tales that have been narrated, both in size and price. OLYPUB is sans any kind of comfort, with one sole purpose of satisfying its loyal clientele with the promise of cheap food and spirits.

I don’t thing the décor has been renovated since inception.

All I have to say is that, at the end of the day, it’s a great place to hang out and chat with friends, if you’re not one who’s accustomed to the finer things in life.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:51 PM

    Hi rohit,

    Got to your blog from the Sem yahoo group, i passed out in 86 and am in Mumbai in the publishing field. I met I think your brother once in the train going from Bangalore to Delhi, he was in the reality industry. write back on amte24@yahoo.com, which batch did you pass oout , you could have been with my brother Asit.
    tc
    Amit Tewari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rohit, heard a lot about this place, but still somehow missed out on it..have to hit this place next time in Calcutta! By they did you ever go to bar in Empire cinema ? it suppose to be another vintage bar in the city

    ReplyDelete

Most Popular Posts till date