Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

KAKA TEA - 5 Mangoe Lane

Day 20, Sep 20, 06: Kolkata:

After a lot of debate, we managed to come to a consensus, so Kartik and I followed Rajrishi to some dhaba he kept raving about. We were quite certain that today the Roti and Tadka dal was on the cards, but the enlightenment of better and newer fare for lunch made us follow him through a sea of people, across several road crossings and into a meandering narrow lane.

As we entered the lane, ahead of us stood the impressive 4 Mangoe Lane the Address in shiny Brass letters against the enamel White building. Beside this stood a building under construction, must’ve been 5 or more floors. In the mêlée of all that construction work, tucked in the right hand corner on the ground floor was a KAKA TEA stall. Bustling with a people, eating, ordering, watching, chatting over food. Rotis, a plethora of vegetarian dishes, I counted some 3-4 paneer preparations, all on display on one side. South Indian Food on the other, mishtis at the entrance and the famous “Chai” stall was in the corner adjacent to the mishti stall.

We ordered 3 Masala Dosas, the kind I’ve never had anywhere else. I’m not saying it was excellent, but it definitely had its uniqueness. This was followed by Gulab Jamuns. I’m not exaggerating, but each of them was nearly the size of a tennis ball. Then we had tea. Ok that was a bit much and this eating thing is affecting me. I’m never going to get to shop again. I vowed to myself that I’d lose a couple of inches around the waist and only then go shopping.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts till date