Search This Blog

Monday, September 04, 2006

City Centre - Salt Lake

Day 3, Sep 3rd, 06: Kolkata: Am not used to waking up so early on a Sunday Morning, but then if I haven't been out partying all night on Saturday, does justify an early Sunday morning. That and the promise of Halwa Kachori, why not. Downed 4 plates of that for breakfast.

But must tell you about saturday night. So what if I wasn't partying, got my flavour of Delhi on the Radio. DJ Rummy of Delhi was playing at Big Ben and was getting live feeds on the Radio till past midnight.

Anyway, lolled around the rest of the day. a sumptuous traditional Dal-bhaath-sobji lunch and we decided to head out to get me a new mobile phone connection. Since the city seemed to be more or less closed, my aunt convinced me to head out to Salt Lake. She'd been raving about "City Centre" since morning. Guess she had a point, if I wanted the phone line. My roaming bill had gone through the roof by now.

Though the raing did play spoilsport for an hour, we did finally head out and a short drive (long by Kolkata standards) we were in front of City Centre. "I've seen bigger" was my instant reaction, but till we reached the parking lot. I must say I was impressed. I haven't seen a mall in Delhi that has addressed the issue of parking the way "City Centre" has. Then a full view of the mall put things in Perspective. Designed by Le Corbusier the French Architect of Chandigarh fame, City Centre has captured the essence of Kolkata, yet providing the functionality, ambience and luxury of a mall. Words fail me, but another visit on a clear sunny day and lots of pictures will just say it.

the drive back, just amazed me yet again, as I was on the first day I landed in Kolkata. the City is just blanketed with Hoardings. Maybe that covers alot of the old dilapidated buildings. The amazing thing is how the old and swanky new structures co-exist. I guess it's just a matter of time, before all the old buildings with their wooden windows will fall prey to builders and huge glass structures will stand in their place.

Kolkata has finally civilized me. Dinner by 9 pm and off to bed by 10.30pm. Wow. Rohit Nyss, slow down. You just might lose your reputation as the "Last Party Hero".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts till date