Skip to main content

The Dilemmas of Moving Base

Day 27, Sep 27, 06: Kolkata:

Yesterday I got the fright of my life. The joy of depositing my first pay check was shattered by the trauma of no means of withdrawing my money. Well here’s what happened.

Shortly after depositing my cheque at the teller, I decided to check my balance at the ATM outside the branch. Well all went smoothly, till at the end of the transaction the machine swallow up my card and asked me to go to the nearest branch for assistance. So I went in and after locating the person in charge of such matters was assured that I’d get it back. I just needed to come back in half an hour or so. I headed back to office and several hours later returned to the Bank.

I was shocked to hear the person telling me that my card had been hot listed, whatever that meant. So I wouldn’t get it back. I thought I’d talk my way out of this one and get it back only to be shocked by his answer that the card had been destroyed as was the procedure for all cards that had been hot listed. Man, I was going dizzy by now and wanted an explanation for such an extreme measure. He explained that a hot listed card was one that was reported stolen or had been blocked by the Bank for precaution towards further misuse. I needed to call Phone Banking to get a new card. Just by the way someone behind the counter said that it was possible that they had sent me a new upgraded card so I should check that.

So a brisk walk bordering on a jogging brought me back to office. I’m not sure if the sweat I had broken out into was due to the hot and humid climate, the walk or stress, but I was glad to be back in the sanctuary of a cool office and set upon making that much needed call.

Well Kolkata Helpline was not being answered, so I made a call to the Delhi Office and after much probing got to the bottom of it all. They had issued me a new card, but since I wasn’t there to receive it, it went back to Chennai and was resent to the branch where my account was. Yippie! Now I’ll just have to go to Delhi and pick it up from there. Fortunately or unfortunately I have to go back anyway to pick up the rest of my belongings which were supposed to come with someone else, but he backed out at the last minute.

So Delhi here I come, well after Pujas that is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Udaipur Palace Vintage and Classic Car Collection

The Udaipur Palace Vintage and Classic Car Collection Vintage and Classic Car Museum is a car museum in Udaipur in Rajasthan state in India, having some of the rarest classic and vintage car collection. This museum is owned by Rana Sriji Arvind Singh Mewar. The Vintage and Classic Car Museum, or Vintage & Classic Car Collection was unveiled to general public on 15 February 2000. It was inaugurated by Lord Montagu of Beaulieu, founder of the National Motor Museum in England. The Vintage & Classic Car Collection is a car collection and a museum, showing all the vehicles belonging to the Maharanas of Mewar both past and present. The collection is housed in the original former Mewar State Motor Garage, which currently serves as this museum. Garden Hotel and Restaurant, a property of HRH Group of Hotels, Udaipur, is also contained within the garage’s grounds. The semi-circular motor garage with its forecourt is housed within a greater courtyard. It also houses one of th...

The 7 Wonders at Eco Park

Pyramid & Sphinx Our last excursion to Eco Park in Rajarhat dates all the way back to February 2015. Since then, a myriad of transformations has swept through the park. During a recent journey to the airport, we caught sight of the park's latest additions, which had become the talk of the town, visible from Biswa Banga Sarani. That sighting ignited our decision to revisit the park. Naturally, we concurred that visiting on a weekend would be an exercise in chaos, so we opted for a weekday to fully savor the wonders that awaited us. To our surprise, even on a weekday, the park teemed with visitors. Upon entering Eco Park for a nominal fee of Rs. 30, we were immediately struck by the sheer value it offered. Personally, I would have willingly paid more for the privilege of glimpsing these marvelous creations. Rather than expound further, I'll let the images convey the essence of what lies within. That being said, it unquestionably merits an in-person visit to truly appreciate ...

Vintage Car Show 2018 at The Tollygunge Club

1947 MG TC So here we are once more at The Tollygunge Club on a cold winter morning to catch some rare beauties to warm our hearts. I try to catch these every year if possible and after my recent trip and the number of cars I've seen on it, one would think I'd give it a miss. This year's collection had most of the usual cars with an addition of some more to the fray.  What disappointed though was the limited number of super cars on display. But all that said, it's always a joy to see these wonderful gems still being cared for by their owners and offering us a glimpse into automotive history. So with that much said, I hope you'll enjoy the pictures of the cars below. 1947 MG TC 1938 Rolls-Royce 1938 Rolls-Royce 1953 Land Rover 1932 Ford V8 1932 Ford V8 1950 Cadillac V8 1950 Cadillac V8 1950 Cadillac V8 1956 BSA Bantam 1952 Willy's Jeep 1962 Triumph Spitfire 1962 Triumph Spitfire 1925...