Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

My First Kolkata Juloos (Rally)

Day 5, Sep 5th, 06: Kolkata:

So decided to come in Kolkata std. time to office, which is like 10 am. So left home at 9 am. Got an auto (guess you know by now they are those shared ones) and in pop two guys from the left. Guess which one's the driver? Incase you can't the guy on the extreme right. Anyway on the way I did get to see some other sights, like hand pulled rickshaws, single lane gullies, thela wallas, ganna wallas. All these will come to light in due course.

Anyway got off the auto at Dharamtala and the rain just came down like a shutter being pulled down on you. To make matters worse, a short walk down to Esplanade-Chittarnajan Avenue and am encounteres with a huge crowd. Why aren't they crossing the road? I pushed my way through, came out onto the road and Voila! I've encountered my first Juloos (Human Rally) in Kolkata. Two serpentine lines of villagers, carrying umbrellas, jholas (bags), Bow & arrows and all sorts of other things walking from Bentick Street to Esplanade. Ofcourse Kolkata Police is also assisting them to keep that serpentine line intact, thus we poor citizens can't get to work till this circus is over and done with.

Finally we are able to cross that sea of people. A police van at the end of the human train resembling a Guard van.

A short walk past Amber restuarant and am near the Governor's Residence crossing. This morning is turning out to be quite eventful or i've just got my eyes a bit open. I spot my first Double Decker Bus in Kolkata.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts till date