Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Mandarmani Revisited: The Beach, Fishermen, Shells and The Sher-E-Punjab

The fun thing about Mandarmani is the vast expanse of sand and the timid ripples of the sea that wash over the beach and one can wade in the water, ankle deep to great distances. So we spent our day on the beach and apart from the tu-tuk ride and chasing the red crabs, we watched fishermen bring in their nets with their catch. It was fun to see them pull out the fish and other seas creatures from their nets. I even ventured taking some in my hands.

By late afternoon, we decided to check out of Mandarmani and head back to Kolkata. The drive back was eventful especially when we were taking the narrow dirt road out. The road was so narrow that at one point and oncoming tractor, though I had warned him aptly managed to bump into my car. My poor Swift nearly got the entire rear bumper yanked off from the right side. I was furious, but nothing could be done and after pushing and prodding, we managed to get it together, so that it would hold at least till we got back to Kolkata. (The following day, I had to send it to the workshop and get the rear bumper changed. I cursed the tractor driver some more).

Anyway the drive back was otherwise uneventful apart from the stop we made at Sher-e-Punjab at Kolaghat where we ate and drank to celebrate our first road trip in our car.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts till date