Search This Blog

Monday, November 19, 2007

A Film Worth Missing

Last evening I ended up watching Saawariya a much hyped film by Sanjay Leela Bhansali. The film has been in the making for a while and launched on 9th November after a huge marketing effort. There was much hype about the leading pair, Ranbir Kapoor & Sonam Kapoor, both of whom come from star families and both of who fail to impress. Ranbir has a Hritik meets Raj Kapoor kind of stage presence which is completely mixed up and Sonam, well the pretty lady is just pretty but lacks the sex appeal to light up the silver screen. If someone in the film is worth mentioning, it has to be Rani Mukherjee. She brings a bit of spark to the otherwise Lacklustre acting and script. The other big name in the film is Salman Khan, but his insignificant appearance in the film is another factor that has driven the film out of many halls.

The film sets are out of this world and when I say that, it is because I really can't figure out which part of the world the film is set it. Extravagant sets which depict Venice meets London meets Kolkata meets Lahore meets Moulin Rouge leave you in a state of dilemma trying to connect with the place and period. Add to that, garish lights all over trying to give it that dreamy feel taking away from the very essence of the sets created their character.

I just have to say I'm glad that the film gets over in 2 hour 15 minutes, because one more song and I'd be pulling my hair out. It seems like a song breaks out after every two dialogues.

Anyway thank god that's behind me and now I can look forward to my next film. And once again, if there are any Rani Mukherjee fans, thank you for supporting her. She makes the film a bit bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts till date