Skip to main content

RUSSEL PETERS LIVE in 'CALCUTTA'


I had been waiting for the day I’d see RUSSELL PETERS Live for the past five odd years since I saw his Comedy Now Show for the first time on my PC. Thereafter I had been scouting for more videos of the Funny man with his roots in my Hometown of Kolkata. We shared another thing in common, of being Anglo-Indians and dealing with the ordeal of explaining what the term actually meant. So like RUSSEL, I also tend to skirt the topic and often enough say I’m a Bengali, as the occasion warrants.

Anyway Back to RUSSEL’s Show. When I got to Science City, the first challenge was to get a parking spot, which fortunately I did. Then getting to the Auditorium gate, I noticed the serpentine line which had already formed. Fortunately I spotted some friends right at the head of the line and in typical Indian style cut in and was seated in the second row in a jiffy. The stage with one mike in the middle already got my laughter hormones or whatever it is that gets you to laugh to kick in. I turned back the whole half hour or more that it took for people to get in and seated. I was shocked to witness the entire auditorium getting packed.

Like all shows in India, though slated for a sharp 8.00 pm start, the show got on the road at 8.45 pm. The opening act was a fat white Canadian bloke who set it up for RUSSELL with a fifteen minute act that had the crowd playing to his tunes, till he finally brought RUSSELL on stage at about 9.00pm. One thing he conveyed to the audience quite convincingly and that was that FAT people were FAT because they EAT. Period!

RUSSELL got on stage and immediately got into his act. The first of his targets, and believe you me I had already identified two of them before the show, was the Old Sardarji sitting with his wife and son, right in front of me in ROW A on the left side of auditorium. The next one was at the other end to the right side of the auditorium in ROW A, a bunch of Chinese Girls. Thereafter for the first half hour RUSSELL had people in splits. The show took off further in the latter half much to the dismay and shock of the older audiences when RUSSELL got more explicit on the subject of SEX. Not that the younger people had any qualms. They were just enjoying every bit of the funny man’s jabs at the hypocritical approach to sex in the country that gave the world the Kamasutra.

He wound up with his classic sign off pulling out a piece I quite clearly remember him saying on OUTSORCED he had retired. But who can forget Ryan and “SOMEBODY GONNA GETA HURT REAL BAD”. With that he signed off to a standing ovation form “CALCUTTA”. That was his dig at the Government waiting for 50 years to change the names of “BOMBAY, MADRAS and CALCUTTA” to “MUMBAI, CHENNAI and KOLKATA”.

RUSSEL ROCKS! Oh and for those who missed his show.. Well you missed his show. Maybe you can catch him in Mumbai or Delhi or better still, watch more of his stuff on youtube.com, while I go get my Copy of his latest Red, White & Brown.

For tickets click and maybe see him in Person.

Comments

  1. Anonymous5:14 PM

    I have the tickets for the show Mumbai on Monday! Will let you how different it was to the show in Kolkata!

    Can't wait for monday man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi rohit,
    i have gathered u are a big fan of russel peter, i have a cd of one of his shoes in the US if u want to have a look let me know..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Udaipur Palace Vintage and Classic Car Collection

The Udaipur Palace Vintage and Classic Car Collection Vintage and Classic Car Museum is a car museum in Udaipur in Rajasthan state in India, having some of the rarest classic and vintage car collection. This museum is owned by Rana Sriji Arvind Singh Mewar. The Vintage and Classic Car Museum, or Vintage & Classic Car Collection was unveiled to general public on 15 February 2000. It was inaugurated by Lord Montagu of Beaulieu, founder of the National Motor Museum in England. The Vintage & Classic Car Collection is a car collection and a museum, showing all the vehicles belonging to the Maharanas of Mewar both past and present. The collection is housed in the original former Mewar State Motor Garage, which currently serves as this museum. Garden Hotel and Restaurant, a property of HRH Group of Hotels, Udaipur, is also contained within the garage’s grounds. The semi-circular motor garage with its forecourt is housed within a greater courtyard. It also houses one of th...

The 7 Wonders at Eco Park

Pyramid & Sphinx Our last excursion to Eco Park in Rajarhat dates all the way back to February 2015. Since then, a myriad of transformations has swept through the park. During a recent journey to the airport, we caught sight of the park's latest additions, which had become the talk of the town, visible from Biswa Banga Sarani. That sighting ignited our decision to revisit the park. Naturally, we concurred that visiting on a weekend would be an exercise in chaos, so we opted for a weekday to fully savor the wonders that awaited us. To our surprise, even on a weekday, the park teemed with visitors. Upon entering Eco Park for a nominal fee of Rs. 30, we were immediately struck by the sheer value it offered. Personally, I would have willingly paid more for the privilege of glimpsing these marvelous creations. Rather than expound further, I'll let the images convey the essence of what lies within. That being said, it unquestionably merits an in-person visit to truly appreciate ...

Vintage Car Show 2018 at The Tollygunge Club

1947 MG TC So here we are once more at The Tollygunge Club on a cold winter morning to catch some rare beauties to warm our hearts. I try to catch these every year if possible and after my recent trip and the number of cars I've seen on it, one would think I'd give it a miss. This year's collection had most of the usual cars with an addition of some more to the fray.  What disappointed though was the limited number of super cars on display. But all that said, it's always a joy to see these wonderful gems still being cared for by their owners and offering us a glimpse into automotive history. So with that much said, I hope you'll enjoy the pictures of the cars below. 1947 MG TC 1938 Rolls-Royce 1938 Rolls-Royce 1953 Land Rover 1932 Ford V8 1932 Ford V8 1950 Cadillac V8 1950 Cadillac V8 1950 Cadillac V8 1956 BSA Bantam 1952 Willy's Jeep 1962 Triumph Spitfire 1962 Triumph Spitfire 1925...