Search This Blog

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Durga Puja 2008: Navami

Day Three; Navami and our Pandal Hopping had to go into overdrive if I wanted to photographically document some of the splendor of Kolkata’s hardworking artisans to showcase in my blog. I also had another reason, and that was to erase the pre-puja depressing news of the TATA-Nano-Singur pullout debacle. The Global economic fiasco didn’t seem as hard hitting as the news closer to home of the immense loss of face and confidence in the Economic progress of West Bengal. Anyway Maa Durga will make it all good. So here’s to Pandal Hopping Day Three!

So, I decided after spending the whole day indoors resting, a swim would revitalize me for the mission at hand. So Tolly Club it was, a quick 20 laps at the pool, some Fresh Lime Soda in the Shamiana and back on the road to Park Circus, the starting point for Day Three.

Day Three seemed to be starting way later than I thought and the plan seemed a bit warped too. Anyway I relished the Roti, Chicken Chaap and Chicken Biryani followed by Mishtis and then waited till we could get this show on the road. Today we had several more additions to the party and the two TATA Sumos were unavailable. Thank god a TOYOTA Innova and Ambassador were there to accommodate the extra people, so today’s convoy was made up of the Innova, Ambassador and two Maruti Swifts. It was going to be AC, good music and self drive all the way.

Ok when I said warped, well here’s where we were going to start today’s adventure - 41 Palli at Tollygunge! Didn’t we come all this way on Day One, just to go back today, was my first thought? So how come it got on the list all of a sudden on Day Three? Anyway after a long and tedious drive, we finally managed to get there. Getting in wasn’t any trouble because we had passes. The Pandal was something to do with birds. Anyway I didn’t think it was all that great and worth all the trouble, but we had already come all this way and so making the best of it, we headed back towards Southern Avenue. Mudiali was being given a miss and we were all meeting up at Ballygunge Cultural. We parked the cars and first saw Samaj Sevi with its enormous horses in front, followed by Ballygunge Cultural, the tiny Dakshinee Sangha and Friends Union. Thereafter we heard that a little walk away on the other side of the main Gariahat Road was an award winning Puja called Tridhara Sammilini. So we went and saw that one too. The best part was the entire approach to the Pandal.

From here it was the renowned Maddox Square. To tell you the truth, Maddox Square is probably the worst Puja Pandal. The crowd is the cheapest one can find. All roadside “Changras” smoking, drinking too slyly I’m sure and making merry. It’s a sea of boys and men packed into the field all sitting around in groups. The Pandal itself is no great shakes and neither the idol. It’s just a myth and a must visit on the Puja Pandal Hopping Circuit. I think I’m going to drop it next year. After Maddox Square since everyone was calling it a day and it was about 3.00am, I decided it was time to do some Pandal Hopping on my own terms.

On the way to Park Circus, I stopped under the AJC Bose Flyover to capture one pandal that I always do on the way, every year - Park Circus Institute. After that, we made a stop at the Park Circus Maidan, which usually was the first Pandal to be visited. The Pandal is still made with all its grandeur. After that hunger pangs had set in and my wife had this urge of having Cheesecake. The only place I could think of to satisfy her desire was the ITC Sonar. After a night out looking for parking spots, handing over my car keys to the valet at the hotel was such a joy. At the Lobby was a exquisite yet simple Idol of Durga.

Sure enough, they had Cheesecake. And sure enough I was going to eat! A Classic Club Sandwich with the works, A Strawberry-Kiwi Smoothie ( Shake ) and a Cherry Cheesecake rejuvenated us and we headed on in search of more Pandals; actually one in particular. I’d heard about Santoshpur Palli right at the beginning of the evening from a colleague of mine. So we went to Santoshpur and drove around a bit but we couldn’t seem to find it. We turned around and decided to call it a day. Just when we got back near our colony, I decided to make one last-ditch effort and asked one of the persons getting off a rickshaw where Santoshpur Palli Puja was. He in fact corrected me and told me it was Santoshpur Lake Palli and gave me directions to it. Was I glad that I asked him? You bet I was! This had to be the best Pandal, refreshing colorful, joyful, in fact the feeling was overwhelming at 4.45am when I walked into this Pandal. No wonder they had a stall outside with all the Awards they had got.

So, content and smug with myself for having seen this one, we decided to go home and call it a night early this morning. Well not before we saw the Pandal in our own Colony at Udayan.

We finally got home a bit past 5.00 am.

Shubho Bijoya to all of you.

Pictures
01. 41 Palli
02. Samaj Sevi
03. Ballygunge Cultural
04. Dakshinee Sangha
05. Friends Union
06. Tridhara Sammilini
07. Maddox Square
08. Park Circus Institute
09. Park Circus Maidan
10. ITC Sonar Lobby
11. Santoshpur Lake Palli (Asian Paints Award Winner)
12. Udayan, Utsarg-Utsav

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts till date