Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Kasan - Flavours on India

My wife and I had a 10:20 pm appointment at the multiplex at Fame South City. It’s nice when you have friends in the right places; we’d been invited to a special viewing of the Film “INCEPTION”. Infact we were going to be the first people in the city to watch the film. So we had time to kill from 6:30 pm till then. I had suggested Momos at Elgin Road, but while she was on the way to meet me at Park Circus, she suggested we do Chinese and that too at “Kasan”. It didn’t sound like too bad an idea, it was close to my office and they did serve draught beer.

So Kasan it was. Well Kasan, though we still refer to it by that name, changed hands from its original Chinese owner several years ago and is now called Flavours of India, but for most people it’s still Kasan. It’s located on A.J.C. Bose Road, just short of the Lamartiniere for Girls School back gate if you’re coming from Theatre Road or Park Street.

Anyway I got there first and got straight down to the business of beer at a table for two which was positioned strategically between the bar and a view of the entrance so I wouldn’t miss a single person who entered. The restaurant has an old style bar counter where a bunch of young fellows were sitting on high bar stools enjoying an after office drink together. I did eavesdrop a bit while I waited. It was the normal big talk that young guys indulge in after a couple of drinks and I’m not going to get into that though. A pitcher and two glasses, were on my table and I knocked back a glass, before my wife arrived.

As she did, the manager suggested that we go up, as this place was more of a watering hole. So we followed him up a winding staircase and came upon what seemed like a mezzanine floor which had several tables, but he led us on and opened the door to what seemed like a cosy private section of the restaurant. A couple were getting cosy in a corner table and we made ourselves comfortable at a table right in the middle so that we had a view of the entire place. Our beer followed us and immediately we were toasting to yet another new place we were trying out.

Women definitely have better judgement and though I had downed a glass, it didn’t occur to me that the beer was a bit flat. My wife immediately got me to do the needful. The service was excellent; they apologised and replaced the draught beer pitcher with a bottle of Kingfisher Premium Lager Beer. The entire drum of draught they realised had gone flat. Well that’s something that could happen anywhere and I didn’t mind that at all.

Though we had plans of Chinese dinner, I suggested a plate each of Cheese Onion Masala Kulcha and Chilli Chicken Dry. After downing the first round, we ordered another beer and another plate of the same Kulchas, Both of us just freaked out on them. One of my friend’s had told me about the Kulchas at Kasan and believe me, after downing your first round you’ll definitely order another.

If you’re looking for a value for money place to dine, be it Indian, Chinese or Continental, Kasan is a good deal. It gets better if you’re looking for a regular watering hole to meet up and hang out with your friends. And might I add, they have valet parking.



Our little outing cost us:

2 Masala Kulchas: Rs. 90.00
1 Chilli Chicken: Rs. 185.00
2 Kingfisher Beers: Rs. 216.00

Total Amount: Rs. 491.00
VAT (12.50%): Rs. 34.375

Net Amount: Rs. 525.00

Flavours of India – Kasan Restaurant
6.3A A.J.C Bose Road,
Kolkata – 700 017
Phone: +91 33 22901972

1 comment:

  1. Rohit, by draught beer do you mean draft beer from kegs?

    ReplyDelete

Most Popular Posts till date