Search This Blog

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Gyaan from the Guru of Photography



I was so looking forward to attending this workshop by Mr. Raghu Rai. Thanks to Canon and my friend Mr. Anup Kanodia of Capital Photo Service, I managed to get an invite for this once in a lifetime opportunity to get some tips on Photography from the man who has captured India through his lenses like no other.

Being an avid traveller I wanted to understand what it was that one was supposed to capture in a frame that would make a good photograph and great photograph.

Through the session, Mr. Rai humoured us with his anecdotes and a lot of humorous photographs. As he went through the session and showed us one photograph after another, the audiences wowed by each, just made me realise why there was such a packed hall. People were sitting in the isles trying to get a glimpse of the master’s portraits. Later I heard people had queued up since 8:00 AM to get front row seats for this workshop and it was definitely worth the effort.

I finally got the answer to a question that was nagging me in the back of my mind “How does a person looking at a photograph actually feel the emotion that you felt when you clicked that photograph?”

Well the answer was that “if the person can’t feel the emotion of the moment depicted in the photograph, then it’ll always be a photograph for you. But if you want a photograph that can actually evoke the same emotions and feeling that you experienced at the moment you clicked that photograph, well that is a photograph”.

That said, I learned one of the toughest lessons at the session; to be able to look back at the pictures without emotion of being the one who clicked them and then pick out the ones that are “photographs”.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:41 PM

    wow where was this? and yes I agree with you on the emotions part. I have tried to do the same with my pics and even though I like say 100 pics, I only use maybe one or two pics out of those 100 as my wallpapers because it looks and feels terrific :).
    Me looking forward to attending one of the photography classes/events soon.

    ReplyDelete

Most Popular Posts till date