Search This Blog

Friday, August 14, 2009

Tamarind never ceases to surprise

My in-laws had a reason to celebrate and invited us to Tamarind for dinner. While were entering the restaurant, we bumped into the owner at the entrance and a big exchange of his and hellos were exchanged by my in-laws and him. I also said hi and so did my wife. To my surprise my wife also seemed to know him and they kept calling him “neighbour”. I knew Goutam from a work angle and was quite taken aback when my in-laws also seemed to know him. Then I thought to myself that they were friendly people and probably got to know him on their last visit.

So when we settled down to our table, we got chatting and I asked them if they knew him from their last visit to the restaurant and they informed me that he was the doctor who lived across the road from them; the building which housed the family of doctors. I was quite amused, thinking to myself, how small the world was?

Anyway as we spoke some more, I informed them that he actually owned the restaurant, and they kept insisting that he was a doctor, till I finally convinced them as I recalled his entire background. He had told me about being from a family of doctors and their family interests in a well known nursing home, but how he felt the desire to be different and do something in the gourmet business and thus TAMARIND.

After I put all the pieces of the puzzle together, my in-laws were quite in shock. They couldn’t believe that he owned the restaurant. And kept looking at each other and saying, “My God, he owns this restaurant?”

It definitely helps to know the owner and after a splendid meal with excellent service we got complimentary sweet dish, just like the last time my wife and I had visited.

Need I say that the food was a gourmet’s delight and if anybody has anything different to say about Tamarind, “Yenna Rascala, Mind It!”

Below is what we ate:

NELLORE CHAPPALA PULUSU (Andhra)
Spicy fish preparation in a gravy of tamarind and chillies

ERACHI CURRY (Kerala)
Mutton cubes in an authentic Kerala style coconut based gravy.

KORI GASSI (Karnataka)
Boneless chicken pieces in garlic, pepper corns, coriander gravy.

APPAM - Egg / Plain
Traditional Kerala rice pan cake.

HYDERBADI BIRIYANI – Chicken.

DOUBLE KA MEETHA

Butter Milk

Tamarind
177 Sarat Bose Road ,
Kolkata - 700026.
Tel: +91-33-24638799, 64548011
24 hours helpline: +91 9830051705
You can see the menu at: www.tamarindkolkata.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts till date