Search This Blog

Sunday, April 13, 2008

TATA SKY, Finally!!

Today after much deliberation I managed to get TATA SKY installed in my house. To most of you it might seem like such a simple thing to get done, but believe me it has been among the toughest things that I've managed to get done in the recent past. It all started a couple of months ago when I went out and bought the TATA SKY set top box from Music World on Park Street. There was an offer on and the box was available for Rs. 1499/-. Little did I know at the time was that I had to take the permission of the Society I lived in to install the connection. The society had its own cable connection but if you wanted to install TATA SKY or any other satellite TV connection you needed to get permission from the society.

So I wrote an application seeking permission to do so. It took about a week or more for them to respond on that. They gave me permission but with a lot of clauses and the most explicit being that I couldn't set the dish on the terrace or the walls. Which when the TATA SKY engineer came about a month ago made it virtually impossible for him to find a place to set the antenna.

Anyway that was that, till more recently that is, when I decided enough was enough. Life without TV wasn't complete. Not that I watch much TV, but one did need TV every once in a while. So this afternoon I made way to the society office to seek their guidance on how I could get the TATA SKY installed yet meeting all their ludicrous stipulations. And I did and got a more ludicrous solution from them to install the dish on the parapet above my bedroom window. Well if that was how it was required to be done, then that’s how it was going to be done.

I called the TATA SKY guys and explained to them that I needed the Connection installed in my place and also the fact that the previous engineer had refused to install the dish. So they sent their firefighter engineer or so I learnt when he came. He was always called upon to installation sites where all other engineers had refused to install due to the dangerous nature of the installation. Believe me he was a daredevil. He climbed down from the terrace on to the parapet and went about the process of installing the dish. Meanwhile a much-needed thunderstorm was brewing up. Clouds were plunging the already dark sky into absolute blackness save the recurrent flashes of lightening. The engineer finally got the dish in place just before the squall. It came down cats and dogs while he pulled the wire into the room and connected it to the TV and waited for the set top box to set up the channels. Voila!! I had TATA SKY on my TV.

Amazingly I got to complete the movie I was watching on a DVD this evening before the TATA SKY engineers came, on Star Movies. It was a really nice movie called Little Miss Sunshine. It was quite a hilarious movie. A great story about family bonding in the time of the worst crisis. Some of the sequences are a laugh riot. A must watch, even if some of the language is over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts till date