Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

afraa

Last evening I went to the much talked about “afraa lounge and restaurant” at City Centre, Salt Lake. Before I headed there I did some time pass in Shopper’s Stop and Star Mark. While I was at Star Mark I saw the Biggles comics and was tempted to buy them. It kind of transported me back into my school days. I mean most of us are familiar with Tintin, Asterix, Commando and Amar Chitra Katha. Biggles was a rarity and I was privileged enough to have read a couple back then.

Anyway up and onwards to the 6th Floor and we stepped out of the lift into the plush entrance of the lounge. Beautiful wooden flooring, lots of frosted glass and immaculate white leather seating of various kinds surrounded us. We were welcomed by a most hospitable staff member and ushered to a table with high bar stool kind of seating which we weren’t to comfortable with. That too right in front of the DJ console. So we were shifted to a lovely low seating sofa right beside the terrace. The wall to wall glass offers a beautiful view of the wooden planked terrace. It gives the feeling of being on a ship and looking out onto the deck.

We were presented with four different menu cards which if I remember were liquor, snacks, main course and forget the fourth. But it was impressive all the same. I was so tempted to order wine and the ambience demanded wine, but I just went with beer. The big screen LCD on the wall behind the bar counters facing us was showing the IPL Cricket match between The Deccan Charger and the Delhi Daredevils. Just this morning I read one of the Dailies which had a headline reading “the Belly Bare“Devils” with reference to the new concept of Cheerleaders that has added a new Dimension to the game of Cricket.

Anyway I just went with a beer and some phenomenal Italian non-vegetarian platter. I don’t quite remember what it was called but it had sliced sausages and was served in the most unique fried crust. The vegetarian dish though it looked really impressive was a bit disappointing, but I’m not much of a vegetarian to be judgemental. So while we drank our beers and relished that fine food, the Delhi Daredevils had done the Deccan Chargers in. That was our cue to move up one level to the restaurant. We stepped out into the deck and took the outside stairs to the restaurant. It reiterated the feeling of being on board a luxury vessel. The moon shining down while we climbed the stairs just completed the mood.

Once in, we were once again welcome by an even friendlier staffer. We were guided to a table for two and as we were seated, one of them came up and lit a candle in the middle. This was just getting better and better. I did notice the wall we walked past with its fine selection of wines. A wall with a display of wine bottles does catapult a restaurant into a league of its own. We spent a little time on the menu and decided our orders. The fish dish I ordered was the best I’ve had till date. The roasted chicken was very different to any chicken I’ve tasted till now and the mashed potatoes. Well I have to say I’ve never ever had mashed potatoes like that in my life. I mean who talks about mashed potatoes. It’s a side dish. But believe you me, you want to order the mashed potatoes just to know what I’m talking about. To wrap up, we wre given chocolate coated "paan". Chocolate coated "paan"! I was a little wary at first becuase I don't chew "paan" but then the oddity that it was just tempted me to try it and so I did. Amazing!

I could just go on and on about this fabulous eatery, but will let any and all of you savour some of their delicacies yourselves to experience what I did.

Oh and I just loved the chairs. It just seems like the person who built this place did some finicky homework. The chairs just slide back so smoothly that whenever you have to get up or move back, its not a painful task.

All I can say is that if this is Mr. Harsh Neotia’s foray into the Hospitality business, I look forward to the things to come.

So if you want to go to this fine eaterey, here's the address.

afraa
City Centre, Salt Lake, Block DC.
Tel: 23581111.

A meal for two is priced at Rs 1,500 approx if you're not going to drink like a fish that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts till date