Skip to main content

Cyclone Aila hits Kolkata

Cyclone Aila! I kind of missed the news in the papers in the morning and went to work. Only by late morning did I realise that this overcast sky was a big deal. “Aila!!!” a cyclone is what it was. Ok I thought to myself, as usual its heading towards Bengal and at the last moment will either hit Bangladesh or the Orissa coast. By noon with wind speeds hitting nearly 100kmph, and visibility going down to a few metres as I watched from our office window, I was beginning to wonder, especially when the local News Channels were only talking about the Cyclone. By noon, Kolkata Police had sent out a red alert and offices were shutting down, letting employees head back home before the cyclone hit. We could see the clouds racing across the sky and every now and then lightening and walls of rain moved across like a white veil. By 3 pm, things had gone from bad to worse.

I decided to take a stroll and headed to the ground floor and as I stepped out on the street, I realised what a cyclone was. The wind nearly took me off my feet and as I looked in both directions, the streets wore a near deserted look with a few stragglers diving for cover trying to make their way home. I decided to make my way back to the comfort of my office on the 9th floor.

There was nothing to do, but sit this one out. Then I got a text sms from SpiceJet saying that our flight to Mumbai the following morning had been cancelled. The rest of the evening was spent following the news and looking out of the window as Cyclone Aila hit Kolkata and trying to get tickets for Mumbai which we finally did.

I finally decided to head home after sitting out what seemed to be the worst at about 9pm. Outside our parking lot, a huge tree had been uprooted and lay across the road. Fortunately, it was after the exit and I had to drive in the opposite direction. On the drive back home, there were trees uprooted everywhere. Most of the hoarding flex prints were shredded and some of them had the entire structure crumbled to the ground.

The best was when we approached home. I dreadfully realised that our apartment complex was the worst place to keep a car in this situation. It has an abundance of trees and as we drove to our building the way was blocked by the tall Eucalyptus tree leaning across the road on one of the buildings. There was no way I was driving under this tree. It looked like a disaster waiting to happen. So I backtracked and drove around the apartment complex and approached our building from the other side. I parked my car on the opposite side a little away from where I usually parked because my normal spot was right under a tree that provided shade.

After about an hour while we were having dinner, I heard a thud and sure enough when I went out onto the balcony, I noticed the tall eucalyptus tree missing. It was lying right across the road. It was just a matter of time as I had guessed.

Anyway on Monday when I came back to office I noticed that the tree that had fallen had been chopped up, like many others that had been across the city. On the weekend when I had gone to the Tollygunge Club, the aftermath of the cyclone was quite evident. I heard over 60 trees had been felled by the storm. Tragic and yet makes us rethink of the ultimate power of nature.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Udaipur Palace Vintage and Classic Car Collection

The Udaipur Palace Vintage and Classic Car Collection Vintage and Classic Car Museum is a car museum in Udaipur in Rajasthan state in India, having some of the rarest classic and vintage car collection. This museum is owned by Rana Sriji Arvind Singh Mewar. The Vintage and Classic Car Museum, or Vintage & Classic Car Collection was unveiled to general public on 15 February 2000. It was inaugurated by Lord Montagu of Beaulieu, founder of the National Motor Museum in England. The Vintage & Classic Car Collection is a car collection and a museum, showing all the vehicles belonging to the Maharanas of Mewar both past and present. The collection is housed in the original former Mewar State Motor Garage, which currently serves as this museum. Garden Hotel and Restaurant, a property of HRH Group of Hotels, Udaipur, is also contained within the garage’s grounds. The semi-circular motor garage with its forecourt is housed within a greater courtyard. It also houses one of th...

The 7 Wonders at Eco Park

Pyramid & Sphinx Our last excursion to Eco Park in Rajarhat dates all the way back to February 2015. Since then, a myriad of transformations has swept through the park. During a recent journey to the airport, we caught sight of the park's latest additions, which had become the talk of the town, visible from Biswa Banga Sarani. That sighting ignited our decision to revisit the park. Naturally, we concurred that visiting on a weekend would be an exercise in chaos, so we opted for a weekday to fully savor the wonders that awaited us. To our surprise, even on a weekday, the park teemed with visitors. Upon entering Eco Park for a nominal fee of Rs. 30, we were immediately struck by the sheer value it offered. Personally, I would have willingly paid more for the privilege of glimpsing these marvelous creations. Rather than expound further, I'll let the images convey the essence of what lies within. That being said, it unquestionably merits an in-person visit to truly appreciate ...

Vintage Car Show 2018 at The Tollygunge Club

1947 MG TC So here we are once more at The Tollygunge Club on a cold winter morning to catch some rare beauties to warm our hearts. I try to catch these every year if possible and after my recent trip and the number of cars I've seen on it, one would think I'd give it a miss. This year's collection had most of the usual cars with an addition of some more to the fray.  What disappointed though was the limited number of super cars on display. But all that said, it's always a joy to see these wonderful gems still being cared for by their owners and offering us a glimpse into automotive history. So with that much said, I hope you'll enjoy the pictures of the cars below. 1947 MG TC 1938 Rolls-Royce 1938 Rolls-Royce 1953 Land Rover 1932 Ford V8 1932 Ford V8 1950 Cadillac V8 1950 Cadillac V8 1950 Cadillac V8 1956 BSA Bantam 1952 Willy's Jeep 1962 Triumph Spitfire 1962 Triumph Spitfire 1925...