Search This Blog

Friday, June 27, 2008

Cholo Let's Go with the Music Folk at Some Place Else

I am sitting in a hospital right now biding my time writing about last nights event at Some Place else. I have just filled up the forms to register myself for a long overdue medical check up.

So about last night; I had bumped into Anjan Da a couple of days ago just as I had come out of Music World on Park Street. The first question he posed to me was whether I had watched his latest film, Cholo Let’s Go. I replied in the negative which disappointed him but promised that I would this week. In fact I had wanted to go watch it as everyone I know who has watched the film have good things to say about it. As a parting note thought, he asked me to drop into Some Place Else on Thursday as he and his band were playing there to promote the music from the film.

So come Thursday night and guess where I was? Well at the Atrium to begin with, as I had to grab a bite before 8:30 pm. You’re wondering what’s with the time business right. Well I had booked myself into the Apollo Gleaneagles Hospital at 8:30am for today and had to keep a 12 hour fast before coming in for my health check-up.

So anyway after dinner and a decent wait, Anjan Dutta finally took to the stage. He started off the show with his customary tribute to the great songwriters of the 50’s & 60’s who weren’t given much reverence by the younger generation of today for their contribution to music. The show got underway with Country Roads followed by Travelling Light by Cliff Richards. The mood had been set and Green Green Grass and Jamaican Farewell brought on actress Churni Ganguly to lend voice to these songs.

What followed was a Solo by Neel Dutta doing his rendition of a Dylan classic called “DON'T THINK TWICE, IT'S ALRIGHT”. HOMEWARD BOUND by Paul Simon and Naa Jaane Kyon from their music for the film Cholo Let’s GO led to the talented Tanya Sen (vocalist of Crystal Grass) taking stage and wowing the crowd with a stupendous performance of “AMAZING GRACE”. It’s about time the young lady got a decent break and recognition for that power-packed voice of hers. I felt her performance was the highpoint of the evening.

Several songs later and the theme song from the movie Cholo Let’s Go had the crowd humming and singing along. But like all show’s this one too had to come to an end and Anjan Da announced the last song Hundred Miles and got the crowd singing along, only to be urged to sing one more and so he wound up the show with an apt going away song singing Leaving on a Jet Plane to the claps of the audience.

As for me, I'm back at work with all tests done. Hope I don't need to change any parts after I get the results tomorrow.

It was a Friday Night and I just had to party. So I headed out to meet up with friends at The Apartment at City Centre, Salt Lake. I walked into the place and couldn’t find them anywhere? So when I came back out the bouncer enquired if I was with the group of seven? Yes I was, was my immediate reply, not really sure if that was the group I was with. He led me back in and Voila! I discovered the little closed private room in which my friends were. It looked like one of those rooms at a spa where people took a steam bath. There were towels rolled in the corners for effect.

As usual the DJ was too good and belted out oldies and we danced and drank beer which was complimented with some amazing snacks.

After we were done with The Apartment, I was kind of hungry, so we decided to stop by at the Café Coffee day in Sector 5 in the Infinity Tower building. This place is open 24x7. I think we cleared out his puffs and sandwiches for the evening. Cold Coffee with Ice-cream woke me up and I enjoyed the drive back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts till date