Search This Blog

Thursday, March 22, 2007

A Tram Story

Ok this story start from the morning and comes full circle way past midnight. I decided to hop on a tram for a brief ride from Park Circus Roundabout till Mullick Bazar which is hardly a kilometre. To my surprise, I had to pay the minimum fare of Rs. 4. The last time I had hopped on a tram was way back when I had come down to Kolkata during my Brother's wedding and the minimum fare was Rs. 0.70.

Anyway, later the same day or rather night as it was about 1 am and I was out for a joyride I had to take a detour from Mullick Bazar on my way back. I noticed that the tram lines had snapped and the tram repair crew were at work. Further down, I noticed what seemed to be a car that had met with an accident. I came to the Park Circus round about to find a group of people helping out with traffic control, directing people to stay clear of the cable which had fallen on the road.

I learnt that the car, a glimpse of which I had got further down the road had got entangled in the tram wire that had fallen and had got partially burned. Man from what I saw, that car seemed to have been totalled. Apparently the driver survived with minor injuries.

Meanwhile our good citizens were out risking their own lives in the midst of high tension cables on the road and speeding cars and trucks trying to ensure that another catastrophe is avoided.

I stayed around helping them for a good hour and then headed to the nearby police station to seek reinforcements. The Police guys immediately rounded up and set out to assist with traffic control and barricading.

I headed home a bit past 2 am, my good dead done for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts till date