Search This Blog

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Chennai: A Walk Around Town, Day 1

Arriving at Chennai Airport, the first order of business is switching on my phone and logging into UBER. Cab booked, I exit the gate and lo behold across the road in the Arrival parking area is a Stall "MADRAS COFFEE HOUSE". Yeah I guess a Coffee is welcome after a Two and a half hour flight. I've got about 10 minutes before my UBER Cab arrives anyway. What was fascinating for me was the "Madras" as opposed to "Chennai". I'm sure a lot of us still prefer the "Old Names" Bombay/Mumbai, Calcutta/Kolkata, Bangalore/Bengaluru, Delhi/Dilli and the latest victim Gurgaon/Gurugram.

Anyway as I took the last sip of that splendid Coffee, the cab arrived and I was on my way.

The next morning I had an agenda to begin! Sightseeing in Chennai.

St. Andrew's Church
The massive dome inside.
Original Stained Glass Windows.
The awesome gigantic Pipe Organ, which is still in use.
St. George's Cathedral
I always found this a sight to behold in any Church. Rows of seats and the Isle leading up to the alter.
Plaque commemorating the visit of the Archbishop of Canterbury
I'm not sure what the Eagle Statue signifies, but it was quite majestic.
St. George's Cathedral from the side.
When in Chennai, if you don't stop at one of these joints and pick up stuff, you might as well not head back home because that door is not going to open for you. 

That ended the morning session, thanks to my wife's aunt who offered to show me these wonderful sights, that too in the luxury of an AC car.
My post lunch session started with me hopping onto a Local Bus (Route 29C) and heading to my first destination. I have to say that Chennai's Buses and transportation system are very good. I was surprised to see the bus in such good condition and people getting on and off the bus in an orderly manner.
The Bus Stands were also very well maintained and designed with proper Bus Route signs.
The Kapaleeshwarar Temple. As I alighted from the bus at the stand, I caught a glimpse of this temple across the pond.
I had to wait a while before I actually managed to get into the Temple. I had come a bit early. But the half hour wait was worthwhile.
As I walked around to the other side of the Temple, outside the gate was this gigantic "Rath"
The Temple done, I was walking to the next destination and came across this beautifully restored Vintage Morris Minor and for those of you who know me, you know I can't pass up the opportunity to stop and check out a fascinating car.
Walking away, I just had to click a picture of the beautiful curves on the Vintage Classic.
After a brief 20 minute walk I came up the majestic Santhome Church.
The Santhome Church is probably the most famous of Chennai's Churches.
This was my next stop. The Marina Beach Lighthouse. I had to get up there and check out the view. It was a 10 minute walk from Santhome Church.
 And the view from the top of the Lighthouse was breathtaking. This is the north view.
Once I got down from the Lighthouse, I decided to take a stroll on Marina Beach and check out all the activities on the beach. Here a photographer setting up his instant printer while a guy on a horse trots by.
Love Birds!
Air-gun Balloon Shooting Stall being set up for the evening.
Merry-go-Round always a favourite.
Horse Ride!
Safety First. The Lady Police Force setting out for Duty on the Beach.
A Beach without Food? Fast Food stall ready for the evening crowds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts till date