Search This Blog

Monday, March 30, 2009

Return of the Kazi and some Rural stuff


On Sunday we decided to drop into the West Bengal Handicrafts Mela which was happening at Milan Mela Grounds just behind ITC Sonar opposite Science City Auditorium (I’ve given the location, just in case people don’t know where the Milon Mela Ground is). The mela had been opened a little while back and I would drive past it everyday on my way to and from work. So finally when we decided to go on Sunday, I seized the opportunity to ride my Hero Honda Karizma. I needed to get a little work done (a silencer guard nut replaced actually and the accelerator loosened out a bit). So after a 5 minute pit stop at the workshop which was very close to the grounds, we headed there.


Fortunately the time we chose was the late mid afternoon and the place was relatively empty, so I managed to park my bike right in front of the gate. We bought the Rs. 5 entry tickets and headed in. We went from one pavilion to the next and made a full circle of the place not thoroughly impressed with what was on offer. I just felt that somehow, traditional handicrafts had been replaced by more commercial kind of things. Masks seemed to rule the roost. Anyway I also feel that liking and disliking things is very circumstantial. I guess I wasn’t in the mood to buy any traditional handicrafts as of now and thus nothing really interested me that way. But if you’re looking to get some traditional handicrafts to decorate your home, this fair might be worth a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts till date