Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

World Cuisine at its Best

When we first saw the advertisement in the newspaper a week or so ago, we thought it was too good to be true. Could such a slick place exist as the ad portrayed? Anyway we decided to head there for lunch and as we got to the building, we got our first reassurance that this was going to be a decent restaurant. Once inside, though building work was still in progress, we were impressed by the full glass lift and the white finish of the interior. Up two floors and as we stepped out of the lift, things just got better. The lobby was impeccable and the glass façade to the restaurant gave us a view inside and to say the least, we were floored. We could see the buffet table with a lovely plant décor as a backdrop at the end and the wooden floor and wood furniture against a white backdrop was something a little out of a fairytale.


We were greeted, shown to a table and handed out a menu each. I loved the way they had each table laid out, with a lovely long stemmed white flower on each table and the napkin folded out like a peacock on each place. The menu was exhaustive and as we pored over the pages, we were informed that we could check out the buffet too and so we did. After going through what was on offer, we were mesmerized by the dishes on display for the Buffet. Each more inviting than the other; Presentation! Presentation! Presentation! We inquired how much the buffet was priced at and when we were told it was Rs. 395/- per head, we decided to go for it.


Gosh I didn’t know where to start, but we did have to start somewhere. So we ordered a cold drink (Thums Up) each and headed for the Salad Bar. There was a wide selection at least 6 different salads to choose from, ranging from exotic greens to seafood. We each scooped out a spoonful from a few of them and headed back to our table only to be informed that we could order some soup as part of the buffet. So my wife did; a chicken soup, which arrived as we were getting done with the salads. The salads were superb, each of them bringing out the flavours of their description, if it was a veggie, then it took me straight to a garden and if it was seafood, it took me to the depths of the oceans. I mean, they had got the flavours spot on. The soup was well made, lacking in salt, but then to get to use those wonderful salt shakers itself was a delight. I mean everything seemed to be chosen with a keen eye.


As I was getting up to go for the main course, we were informed that they had starters too. We enquired what they offered as part of the non-vegetarian starters and when we heard the selection, I thought “Man, are they joking?” We asked for a few of the starters and as I got back to the table with my plate full of my first round of the main course, what we got as starters was a meal by itself. I had got my plate full with some beautiful coloured rice which wasn’t fried, but steamed with some veggies, Some Green Thai Curry and a roast chicken with rosemary. As I sat down, the steward brought us the starters and it was shocking to see such a spread. There was chicken malai tikka, mutton sheek kebab, chicken haryali, fish tikka and a huge jumbo prawn. All I have to say is “Wow!”


I got through all of that and wondered if I could go for another round of the main course. I had left a couple of wonderfully presented dishes for later which I wanted to eat. One surely was the Lasagna. That was the most beautiful bake I had ever seen and as I cut into it and put a nice big piece in my plate, the mince inside just called out to me. This just had to be the highpoint. I also took some of the chicken in black bean sauce and some fish. Once at the table, I went through that lasagna and it was to die for. That’s when the steward came back up to us and informed us that there was pasta too if we wanted to order. These guys were pulling no stops in this fabulous buffet. Well I had to decline, wanting to leave some place for the dessert.


There was a simple yet mouth watering selection of dessert, a warm mihidana bake and some pieces of cake. Both were well made and a fitting end to this feast.

At the end of the meal when we got our check, it was Rs. 790/-. Man this was getting better with each passing minute. It was Rs. 395/- per head inclusive of taxes. We have just got to come back here.


As we left we inquired if the rate was the same for weekends and we were told that this was a LUNCH Buffet available everyday of the week @ RS. 395/- on weekdays and Rs. 495/- on weekends. Whichever way you look at it, at this price or any, its got to be the best Buffet Lunch I’ve had.

HARVEY'S
229, Rajdanga Main Road,
Kolkata - 700107
Tel: +91 33 40164999

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts till date