I had noticed this building a few times while travelling across Majerhat Bridge. Something about it had caught my eye, but from up there, with traffic moving and the city rushing past, it was impossible to really appreciate what I was looking at.
So this time I decided I wanted a closer look.
I went under the bridge and made my way towards the newly constructed Majerhat Railway Station building.
And I have to say, I was rather impressed.
What had looked interesting from the bridge looked even more impressive from up close. The architecture is certainly not what I've come to expect from a railway station in India. It has a contemporary, almost futuristic quality to it, while still managing to look like a proper public building rather than just another functional railway structure.
In fact, I honestly can't remember seeing a station building anywhere in India quite like this.
Railway stations have traditionally been about function — platforms, footbridges, ticket counters, waiting areas and the inevitable collection of signs and people. Architecture often seemed to take a back seat to simply getting the trains in and out.
Majerhat seems to be doing things a little differently.
The scale, the shapes and the overall design make it stand out, especially against the rather familiar urban landscape around it. And because I've seen it from above while crossing the bridge, I suppose I was even more curious to see how the building actually looked at ground level.
It was definitely worth the detour.
I'm actually glad to see Indian Railways experimenting with more innovative architecture and moving beyond the conventional idea of what a railway station should look like.
Perhaps this is a sign of things to come — railway infrastructure that isn't just about engineering and functionality, but also about design and creating something visually interesting for the city.
For once, I found myself looking at a railway station and thinking...
That's actually a pretty impressive building!
No comments:
Post a Comment