Search This Blog

Sunday, April 03, 2011

My first outing with Ride2Breathe

I joined a Facebook Group called Ride2Breathe last week and this morning joined like minded bikers on a trip organized by the group.

Destination: Chintamoni Kar Bird Sanctuary in Narendrapur
Starting point: Victoria Memorial
Distance: 22 Kms one way - 44Kms round trip. (Sagar had done a recce on his motorcycle earlier to measure distance and the best possible route)
Start Time: though scheduled for 6:00 am got delayed by about an hour.

I joined the 12 odd riders at Santoshpur after I had been riding around for an hour. The excitement had me up by 5:00 am and out of the house by 6:00 am. Anyway once I saw the dozen riders in the distance approaching me, I knew this was going to be fun.

Once we were there, we were greeted by the legendary Saibal da, who has cycled alone all the way into the mountains of Sikkim. We entered the Sanctuary, parked our bikes and paid the entry fee (Rs. 15 per adult and Rs. 5 per child) and were soon treading through some thick brushwood along a thin meandering path.

I changed the lens on my Canon EOS 1000D from the 18-55 lens to the 55-250 IS lens just before we set off into the undergrowth and immediately was chasing after a bird deeper into the dense forest. I ducked under here jumped over there and eventually did get me some nice shots of a few birds. But the best was waiting on this woodpecker that hopped around from tree to tree till I finally got my sights fixed on him and shot a volley.

After spending over half an hour in there we decided to head back. I rode back till Santoshpur and the rest of the group continued towards Victoria memorial with a planned tea stop at Ruby Hospital Roundabout.

So if you want to join the group on Facebook, just search for Ride2Breathe.

The group strongly recommends wearing helmets and so do I.

My FIREFOX FULL SUS 26" Reloaded 2.1 with the new Helmet and the not so long road ahead.

The Bikers and their Machines.

The Bikers. Gautam wanted one pic without the Bikes. He's clicking me while I'm clicking them.

Walking into the Forest.

Awesome Vines coming down from the trees.

The Ride back home.

Our support Car. One rider decided to ride back in the car.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Birds I spotted. Oh and some mushrooms growing on some tree stumps. Can someone Identify the other two Birds, I'm not that into the species and names. Just love taking pictures.




The Woody Wood Pecker.

1 comment:

  1. finally captured the furtive woodpecker!!! gr8..and thanx fr the pics and blog...join us in more interesting rides...!!!

    ReplyDelete

Most Popular Posts till date