Search This Blog

Saturday, September 15, 2012

South Indian Delight!

OK, so I like food, but do I know enough about food, is really the question. Yeah I follow Masterchef Australia religiously, but does that qualify me as an expert on food. I realised that when I visited Ammini. 

Most of us believe that South Indian Cuisine is "Dosa, Idli, Vada, Cocunut Chutni & Sambhar". Well that might be true for Tamil Nadu, but the south also includes Kerela, Karnatak & Andhra Pradesh and each of these states have their own distinct cuisines.

Ammini is a restaurant dishing out South Indian food  from Kerela. Yessir! Non-Vegetarian fare with appams: Mutton, Chicken & Fish to go with those flat dosa looking things.

The Restaurant is tiny but accommodates about 30 pax. The food, I think is decent and what's best is that the menu is short, sweet and simple. I hate it when you go into a restaurant and they hand you a menu that reads like an encyclopaedia and invariable you point out to a dish on the menu which you can't even pronounce and the waiter tells you 'that's not available' and you browse a bit more and point to another tongue twister and get the same reply. So you have to resort to 'why don't you tell me what's available and I'll let you know which one I want'.

And you know what's most likely, he'll mention all the common dishes that you've eaten a million times before and have to just settle for the same old fare.

Anyway the Food was delicious, and I loved the Rasam, it was unlike any I've ever tasted. That said, the bill for a meal for three was something else. At approximately Rs. 1,700/-, it's bloody expensive.




1 comment:

  1. Ashwin4:15 PM

    Hi,

    I am a travel blogger, associated with cheapoair.com. I write blogs www.cheapoairtravelblog.com , www.businesstravelconnection.com and www.funfoodandtravel.com . I read your blogs and must admit you have an impressive blog.

    Being a blogger it would be a pleasure to write a guest blog for you. The post would be related to the contents of your blog. So, contact me ashwin-at-cheapoair.com , if you are interested.

    Waiting for your reply.

    Regards,

    Ashwin

    ReplyDelete

Most Popular Posts till date