Search This Blog

Saturday, March 19, 2011

I shot the Super Moon!

I had been reading about this phenomenon called the “SUPERMOON” in the papers and wondered what the fuss was all about. I mean I had seen some full moons that were phenomenal, especially in really nice settings up in the hills where I had spent my childhood in boarding school. Anyway the deal was that this was the closest and biggest the full moon would be to Earth since 1992. So March 19, 2011, was day all astronomers would be looking forward to, I guess.

Anyway I had my in-laws over for dinner and while we were at the table, the topic suddenly came up and as we popped up onto the terrace, it was quite disheartening to see a black sky. I mean we could make out that there was a bright moon behind those thick clouds, but from the look of things, it wouldn’t me sending any of its rays down on us through that thick cloud cover.

So dinner continued and after we were done, noticed that it was quite bright outside. I quickly grabbed by Canon EOS 1000D, changed the 18-55 Lens with the EFS 55-200 IS lens and rushed up to the terrace and there before us was this splendid sight; a bright white “SUPERMOON”. I had very little time as I saw another formation of clouds gaining on the moon from the south. I started clicking away and even as the clouds overran the moon, I captured my piece of the SUPERMOON and I was happy to have witnessed this astronomical show.

Of course I don’t know if any natural calamities like earthquakes or tsunamis occurred due to this juxtaposition of the Moon being its closest to the Earth, as a lot of people believe. All I can say is that it was a beautiful sight to witness.

The next time there is a SUPERMOON will be on November 14, 2016. Hopefully I’ll have upgraded to a better camera and lens to capture it then. Meanwhile here are some shots from the Phenomenon which occurred today.











2 comments:

Most Popular Posts till date