Search This Blog

Thursday, March 10, 2011

An evening with Lord "Storyteller"


When my wife bought "Only Time Will Tell" the latest book by Lord Jeffrey Archer day before evening at Starmark - South City Mall, she was in for a big shock. Along with the copy, she got an Invitation to meet the Storyteller himself. Can you imagine her excitement, considering she has more books than I have model cars or planes or trains. The only dampner was that it was a single entry pass and knowing her, there was no way she would be going for the event alone. So I used some of my contacts to acquire another one yesterday and there we were this evening watching the storyteller bind us in his humourous tales of crossing the Atlantic in a Concorde and being on Television and radio for the first time and how he has to keep telling his publishers till date to print another 25,000 copies of his first book and surprisingly they disappear from the stands within a month even after having sold over 27 million copies till date. He even threw ina bit of Cricket, being an avid follower of the game. Dada, Dravid, Sehwag & Tendulkar being mentioned and a dig at how Indian Cricketers could never take 3 runs and that England & Ireland would reach the World Cup Finals. You'd get the joke if you were there.


By the end of the evening, after a brief Q&A session with some people asking some rather silly questions, the signing was announced and in the blink of an eye, there was a queue on the right side of the auditorium with Lord Archer staring at an empty seating arrangement and humourously played along to get on with the signing. Of course I was busy clicking and the next thing I feel my phone buzz in my pocket. I pick up and my wife is asking me if there's anyway she can get further up the line and I ask her where she is and I see her nearly at the back of the line towards the back of the auditroium. I think to myself, how does a person sitting in the first row end up nearly at the back of the line. I go back to her and notice her eyes swelling, fearing the worst; her copy of "Only Time Will Tell" will not get signed by the Author. Anyway depserate times require extreme measures; I ask her to come up to the front, I get on stage, past all the ushers and security, ask her to hand me the copy and Voila, what do we have. Absolute Joy, as I jump of stage and hand her the Book signed by Lord Jeffrey Archer himself.

1 comment:

Most Popular Posts till date